Introduction to Wine and Winemaking - Fall 2023
Whether you're interested in a career in the wine industry or are just a devoted oenophile, you can take this unique course from anywhere in the world. Access top-quality, college-level course material in an interactive, web-based environment and gain exposure to an internationally recognized program and instructors, including industry experts and UC Davis faculty. Designed for individuals working in the wine industry and affiliated networks, as well as wine enthusiasts this course explores such topics as the history of wine, fundamentals of the winemaking process, wine and health issues, basic wine tasting, interpreting a wine label and wine-growing regions around the world. This course can be taken as a stand-alone course or as the first course in the Winemaking Certificate Program.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various sensory, analytical and legal criteria used for classification purposes
- Identify key factors important for successful wine grape cultivation
- Understand basic winemaking practices and source of some differences between different wine types
- Recognize the main varieties and wine types as they relate to different countries of the world
- Interpret the meaning of wine labels from different countries
- Evaluate the historical, economic and climatic factors influencing development of the wine industry in the U.S. and the world as a whole
- Distinguish the various sensory attributes commonly used in evaluating wine
Skills You Will Gain
- Grape growing and winemaking fundamentals
- Wine history
- Wine classification
- Interpreting a wine label
Enroll now through September 25, 2023 - Access to your course will be available on the course’s start date.
Refund Deadline October 9, 2023. Refunds and/or enrollment transfers will not be approved after this date.
Refunds for this course must be requested by the Refund Deadline October 9, 2023. Refunds and/or enrollment transfers will not be approved after this date. The refund processing fee is $65. View complete enrollment policy information including details on withdrawals and transfers.