A female military veteran wearing fatigues sits across a table from a woman in civilian clothes

Veterans' Education Benefits

Using your veterans' education benefits to help pay for your education at UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education is quick and easy. In addition, we have a VA Education Benefits Coordinator, Suzette Odom, who can provide you with information and answer questions about your VA education benefits and other financial resources, certify your enrollment in qualifying courses and help you locate additional resources and support when needed. You can reach Suzette at (530) 752-3022 or sodom@ucdavis.edu.

Your eligibility depends on a number of factors. The U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs (VA) only pays for courses that are part of an approved certificate or study program. Courses that are not required for your certificate or program will not be covered and cannot be counted toward your enrollment status.

Search for "UC Davis Division of Continuing & Professional Education" on the WEAMS Institution Search application for a list of approved programs. Download our VA Registration Packet for detailed instructions on how to use and maintain your VA Education Benefits while attending Continuing and Professional Education.

Approved Programs

The following programs have been approved for VA funding.

New Monthly Enrollment Verification

UPDATE AS OF 1/27/22: New monthly enrollment verification requirement for students using their Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits and receiving MHA and/or kicker payments will be required to verify their enrollment at the end of each month during their term to continue receiving payments.

Please call the Education Call Center (ECC) at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to update your information. This will ensure that you receive the latest email updates on monthly enrollment verification and are able to opt-in to enrollment verification by text message.

For more information on enrollment verification, including a video with step-by-step instructions and FAQs, explore the Enrollment Verification website.

Applying for Benefits

Step 1: Identify the VA Education Benefits that you are eligible for and select the benefit that best suits you.

You may use any of the following VA Education Benefits at Continuing and Professional Education:

Use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool to determine which benefits you are eligible for and get information on how much of your tuition and fees will be paid, what your housing allowance will be and how much your book stipend will be.

Step 2: Apply for Veterans Education Benefits

Click here to go directly to the Education Benefits Application online.


Visit the GI Bill® website for more options and information.

The VA will determine your eligibility and notify you by mail about your entitlement.

Step 3: Download, complete and submit your VA Registration Packet.

Step 4: Use this checklist to make sure you have all the forms you need to apply.

Step 5: UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education's VA Education Benefits Coordinator will contact you to begin the enrollment and VA certification process.

Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship Program

MyCAA is a program offered by the U.S. Department of Defense that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance (up to $2,000 per fiscal year) to eligible military spouses.

The MyCAA Scholarship can be applied toward any program at Continuing and Professional Education that leads to a certificate or professional concentration. MyCAA will not pay for general studies or interdisciplinary programs that do not have a specific concentration, nor will they pay for courses that are not included in your education or training plan or courses that have been started or completed.

Note: The student's program or course of study needs to culminate in a national or state agency certification or licensure. A certificate on its own, college certificate or not, cannot be approved unless it is connected to a state or national certification or licensure exam.

How to apply for a MyCAA Scholarship:

  1. Visit MyCAA to log in to or create your Department of Defense Self-Service Logon or DS Logon account.
  2. Select University of California Davis as your designated school.
  3. Contact Continuing and Professional Education's Veterans Education Benefits Coordinator at cpe-va@ucdavis.edu for assistance in creating your Education & Training Plan (E&TP). Upload your completed E&TP to MyCAA.
  4. Submit your approved MyCAA financial assistance (FA) voucher to our Veterans Education Benefits Coordinator at cpe-va@ucdavis.edu.

Student Responsibilities

Enrollment status changes

You are responsible for notifying our Veterans Education Benefits Coordinator immediately of any changes affecting your enrollment, including adding and dropping courses or changing your grading options. Failure to do so may result in termination of your benefits.

Satisfactory academic progress

As a student receiving Veterans Education Benefits, the law requires that your benefits be discontinued when you cease to make satisfactory progress toward the completion of your stated program of study.

Per Continuing and Professional Education’s Financial Assistance/Veterans Benefits policy, you must maintain a cumulative and term grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale to meet our minimum satisfactory academic progress standard.

You will be placed on financial assistance probation if your cumulative or term GPA falls below 2.0.

Your financial assistance will be terminated if your cumulative or term GPA remains under 2.0 for a second consecutive term.

Reinstatement of your benefits

Your benefits may be resumed after the end of a term in which you successfully raise both your cumulative and term GPAs to 2.0 or higher. You will be required to pay your tuition and fees for each term until you have raised both GPAs to 2.0 or higher.

Student Conduct

You are responsible for adhering to the UC Davis Standards of Student Conduct. Violations of these standards are taken seriously and may result in suspension or dismissal from the university.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who do I contact if I have questions regarding my eligibility or remaining benefits?
  • Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) GI-Bill-1 (888-442-4551) or visit benefits.va.gov/gibill.
  • Can I be a full-time student at Continuing and Professional Education?
  • Your enrollment status may vary throughout the quarter because Continuing and Professional Education courses have variable beginning and ending dates. The VA calculates enrollment status based on the specific dates and number of weeks you are in attendance and the credit hours you earn during that period.
  • What is my Enrollment Status/Rate of Pursuit?
  • Chapter 33 students: In a standard quarter (for courses that meet for the entire quarter), the VA will determine your rate of pursuit by dividing the number of credit hours you are enrolled in by 12. For instance, if you are enrolled in seven credit hours, your rate of pursuit would be 7/12, or 58 percent. Your rate of pursuit must be more than 50 percent to receive the monthly housing allowance.
    Chapter 30, 31, 35, 1606, & 1607 students: In a standard quarter (for courses that meet for the entire quarter), your enrollment status is determined by the number of credit hours in which you are enrolled. Twelve or more credit hours is full-time, nine to 11 credit hours is three-quarters time, six to eight credit hours is half time, four to five is less-than-half time and one to three is quarter time.

    For non-standard terms (courses that do not meet for the entire quarter), the VA converts your enrollment to “Equivalent Credit Hours” before determining your enrollment status for that term.

    If you need assistance calculating your enrollment status, contact the VA at (888) GI-Bill-1 (888-442-4551) or visit their website at benefits.va.gov/gibill. Or click here for more information about how your housing allowance will be paid if you are not a full-time student. 

  • When will I receive my payment from the VA?
  • Generally, the VA processes payments at the end of each month. Payments may be delayed if you:
    * Haven't completed the intake process at least 30 days before your courses begin.
    * Enroll in courses late
    * Fail to inform Continuing and Professional Education's Veterans Education Benefits Coordinator about changes to your enrollment.
  • Does my enrollment at Continuing and Professional Education qualify for the Cal Vet College Tuition Fee Waiver?
  • Continuing and Professional Education programs and courses are not included in the CalVet college fee waiver benefits to dependents of disabled or deceased veterans who are enrolled in a California public college.
  • Can I use Tuition Assistance (TA) at Continuing and Professional Education?
  • Effective Sept. 5, 2014, UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education is no longer eligible to participate in the Military Tuition Assistance program. Please contact the Department of Defense for additional information about qualified institutions participating in Tuition Assistance.
  • Are Open Campus courses eligible for VA benefits?
  • No, they are not eligible for VA benefits however if you have a special circumstance, please reach out to one of our VA Education Benefit Coordinators at cpe-va@ucdavis.edu.

Whom to Contact

If you have questions about your eligibility or need help deciding which VA Education Benefit is right for you, contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) GI-Bill-1 to discuss your specific situation.

If you have questions about how your benefits will work at Continuing and Professional Education, contact our VA Education Benefits Coordinator at cpe-va@ucdavis.edu.

Send completed forms and information to:

By mail:

Continuing and Professional Education
Attn: Student Services
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616

Additional Resources for Veterans and Service Members

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.